How to Create a Home Office of One’s Own

March 26, 2014

In honor of International Woman’s Day earlier this month, I am rolling out a brand new service: DIY Home Office E-Design for the Busy Mompreneur. Remember Virginia Woolf’s “A Room of One’s Own”? While her essays were specifically geared toward women writers, she is spot on in the inherent need for a dedicated space to work.

woman on computer istock

Mompreneurs are the first to give up space in the home. They juggle a laptop in their lap on the living room sofa, set up temporarily at the dining room table or worst of all, work from the bed. The bedroom is not for work unless you are living in a studio and then we can still create a nook or screen off your work area.

A guest room, a spot in your basement or lower level, a designated area in your living room or kitchen, re thinking your dining room (do you really eat there any more) into an office library, even re-designing a closet (really I have done this) can be great options for creating a space of your own. You just need someone(preferably a trained interior designer) who can take a look at your space and brain storm under utilized areas.

So why should big corporate be the only ones to have all of the fun in their office spaces? Oh and did you know that a fair amount of large corporations are encouraging their staff to work from home so they can rent less commercial space?

Star’s Office

I recently worked via Skype with a mompreneur outside of the tri-state area. She is getting ready to move and doesn’t want to make a huge investment in her office space. She needs color but adding a paint color could be adverse to the selling/staging process of their home. Instead I created a mood board for her with lots of color and on a reasonably priced budget. I provided her with a shopping list prioritized and added a fun splurge of a chair to purchase after she moves.

Star’s reaction to her mood board and design (above):

“Omg, I LOVE IT!!! I had no idea what was available to me, on a small budget and to fit my space/needs. Looking at this already makes me feel energized and ecstatic about spending time in my office!! You’ve helped create a space that feels both calm and refreshing! Thanks, Catherine!!!”

So stay tuned in early April for my new home office e-design service. I am having so much fun providing it for my clients, especially knowing that you will have a more productive and happy space to work in!

I love to hear from you in the comments below. If you could change one thing about your home office space, what would it be?

Like this:

{ 14 comments… read them below or add one }

Cena from SaneSpaces.com March 27, 2014 at 11:41 am

I’m all about incorporating FUN in your office! Keeps things fresh and light! Love this advice!

Resovate June 10, 2014 at 11:10 am

Thanks Cena! I know that you are all about FUN in your life and that is super healthy. So glad you enjoyed this. Keep coming back!

laura March 27, 2014 at 4:48 pm

What fun!! Too many people just ‘settle’ into a space at home with no rhyme or reason and this will benefit so much. As a feng shui expert, it’s imperative to have energy flowing ~ especially in our work space ~ to stimulate creativity and so much more. A 2nd set of expert eyes to create a welcome space will certainly support this!!!

Resovate June 10, 2014 at 11:12 am

Energy flow is everything indeed, Laura. I find a cluttered work space confuses my mind and there are evidence based studies (ie scientific research) that show this is the case for many. Thanks for stopping by!

Kelley March 27, 2014 at 8:50 pm

I totally agree that creating beautiful spaces to work increases creativity and productivity! It is amazing how much focus and energy is drained by the clutter I try to ignore. I am so excited you are going to help me with my studio! Thank you Catherine!

Resovate June 10, 2014 at 11:13 am

Kelley thanks for stopping by. I hope you are feeling more creative and productive in your studio now. I had so much fun creating a work environment with you that supports your energy and your creative process!

Lilia Lee March 28, 2014 at 9:38 am

Uuuuuhhh! How intriguing! My office is in need of some renovation/ rejuvenation. The virtual part sounds great to me

Resovate June 10, 2014 at 11:13 am

Lilia, so glad you stopped by. I would love to take a look at your space virtually and see if I can serve you. Let’s connect! :)

Cindy March 28, 2014 at 6:38 pm

Great idea … staying turned. An office rejuvenation for spring might be just what I need – Thanks!

Resovate June 10, 2014 at 11:15 am

Oooo Cindy, spring is the perfect time for an office rejuvenation. Think of new birth and bringing the outdoors in as you go about the process. And please let me know if there is any way I can support you in this virtually.

kelly March 30, 2014 at 12:59 pm

I can not wait to have my own designated space!! Until then, I’ll manage with the space I have :)

Resovate June 10, 2014 at 11:16 am

Yes a new space will be incredibly exciting, Kelly. And I know that you are an amazing manager already so if anyone call juggle it, you can!

Lori Nash Byron April 8, 2014 at 10:21 pm

I cannot agree more, Catherine – having your own dedicated space is vital when you work from home. For the first few months that I launched my business, I did my work anywhere I could, on the living room sofa, at the counter in the sunroom…Once I remade our library into my official office, and decorated it completely, I was so much more energized and productive. Love the cheery colors you chose for Star’s office.

Resovate June 10, 2014 at 11:17 am

Lori, so happy to hear you carved a space for yourself and what a great additional use of your library. I have converted under utilized dining rooms into combination office/libraries. As entrepreneurs we don’t have to have one size fits all solutions. Happy productivity!